TIAS Latin America
TIAS-LA is a regional chapter of The Integrated Assessment Society, an international not-for-profit society of professionals dedicated to the promotion of sound decision making through Integrated Assessment (IA). Integrated assessment (IA) can be defined as the scientific “meta-discipline” that integrates knowledge about a problem domain and makes it available for societal learning and decision making processes.
TIAS-LA is dedicated to promoting the further development in Latin America of Integrated Assessment as a tool for supporting successful decision-making in a complex world, and for actively preventing policy or management errors.
TIAS-LA promotes the view that this is best achieved through integrative, participatory, locally-relevant and systemic approaches to IA that deal explicitly with issues of complexity and uncertainty in a changing world governed by the uniqueness of place.
It seeks to be a bridge between practitioners, policy makers and academics, as well as between Latin America and the rest of the world, supporting the transfer of the best knowledge and tools, in both directions across this bridge.
TIAS-LA was launched on October 18th, 2016 at the 6th National Congress on Climate Change, UNAM, in the Ciudad de México, Mexico, co-organizing the congress session “New tools for integrated and systemic approaches to supporting adaptation to climate change, from the community to the national levels”.
The group setting up and managing TIAS-LA is composed of:
- Dr Ana Peña del Valle – Programa de Investigación en Cambio Climático (PINCC), UNAM, Mexico
- Dr Marcela Brugnach – University of Twente, Netherlands
- TIAS-LA Regional Chair – Dr Matt Hare – CASA-Tochtli, Mexico
TIAS-LA will be providing the following services to members:
- Opportunities for capacity development on IA, in Spanish
- Webinars and podcasts in Spanish on key IA themes pertinent to Latin America
- Identification and translation of key IA documents from English to Spanish, and vice versa
- Support for publication of key methodological handbooks in Spanish.